Monday, December 05, 2005

 

Draft #24



With the Packers giving the fans of Wisconsin absolutely nothing to cheer for on a week to week basis, I figured it was time to find something new to get excited about. And wouldn't you know it, the Universtiy of Wisconsin hockey team is ranked number one in the nation! This isn't to say that I've given up on watching the Packers, but I figured now was a good time to jump on the Badger hockey bandwagon. The Badgers recently swept the number four ranked Gophers this weekend in Minnesota, a feat that has not been accomplished since 1970. I watched each game on Friday and Saturday and I must say, it was pretty exciting to watch a team that didn't suck.

The only problem with my getting excited about hockey, is that in general, I'm not a big fan of hockey. I don't despise the sport like I do soccer, but I've never been able to sustain a long term interest in hockey. The two games I watched this weekend were probably the first full hockey games I've viewed in...........probably my whole life. I'm definitely not a diehard fan, but I do know the difference between a wrister and a slapshot. I know what a one-timer is (both on and off the ice), what a hat trick is, what a powerplay is, and how low-scoring the sport is. So in order to become an avid Badger hockey fan, I figured it's time I sit down and learn some of the intricate details and rules that make up this game on ice.

And.............after about 15 minutes of glancing through the rule book, I felt the overwhelming urge to stab myself in the eye with a pencil. I'll probably learn the difference between tripping, slashing, high sticking, gouging, prodding, and illegal penetrating all in due time, no need to torture myself in one afternoon trying to learn something on my own. I think I'll learn the ways of hockey the old fashion way, watching the games on television while drinking beer. In fact, I think that's how I'll do most of my learning from here on out.

Here are the top eight point scorers for the Badgers so far this season:

1. Joe Pavelski- #8, forward, sophomore, 20 points (10 goals, 10 assists)

2. Robbie Earl- #10, forward, junior, 18 points (6 goals, 12 assists)

3. Ryan MacMurchy- #19, right wing, senior, 11 points (4 goals, 7 assists)

4. Tom Gilbert- #14, defenseman, senior, 10 points (2 goals, 8 assists)

5. Jack Skille- #12, forward, freshman, 9 points (5 goals, 4 assists)

6. Adam Burish- #16, forward, senior, 9 points (4 goals, 5 assists)

7. Ross Carlson- #27, forward, junior, 9 points (4 goals, 5 assists)

8. Jake Dowell- #11, forward, junior, 9 points (3 goals, 6 assists)

And the biscuit snatcher extraordinare, the junior who's number one in our hearts and is number one on his jersey, born in Canada, but not by choice, the one and goalie, Brian Elliot.

The Badgers play the Michigan Tech Fighting Something or Another's this weekend and hopefully Bucky and the boys can continue their border state beat down streak they are currently riding, thus, ensuring my Friday will be somewhat eventful.

And while I'm writing about UW sports, did you notice the weeks some of the UW alumni were having on NFL Sunday? The former Badger wide outs were posting fantasy numbers that would give even the oldest, most flacid of all football fans a raging flag pole. In a matchup no one in their right mind would pay to watch, the Dolphins beat the Bills with a winning touchdown catch by Chris Chambers. That catch was one of 15 he hauled in on the day, tallying a whopping 238 yards. Co-Madison alum, Lee Evans had an equally impressive day, catching 5 passes for 117 yards and three, count'em, three touchdowns. Even decrepit Minnesota running back, Michael Bennett, managed 89 yards of total offense and two scores, and I use the term running back loosely, he's more of a sprinter in football pads. And Ron Dayne saw the field of play, which in any given week is always a plus for good old Ron. Oh, and the football team was selected to play Auburn in the Capital One Bowl on January 2nd.

So all and all, it was an excellent weekend for the University of Wisconsin Madison, unless you are Brent Moss, then you are a coke head with no future, and every weekend is a bad weekend.


Comments:
i can answer that already for you creola, no, we (the fans who only know they are #1 in the country) will not stay interested if they happen to lose.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?