Tuesday, February 07, 2006

 

Draft #54


Last weekend I was throwing around the idea of having my brother construct a device that could be used to haul a grill and a cooler over to Miller Park, something like a wagon, but bigger. My brother started asking questions like, "What the hell would you need that for?" and "If we don't have a car, then where are we going to tailgate?" After contemplating the questions, I decided to give up on the whole portable tailgate idea. That was until my ride back to Milwaukee from the WB on Sunday night, went it hit me, like an Ike Turner right cross. And right then and there the idea was born, a rickshaw designed specifically for tailgating.

As most of you are aware, I now live within walking distance of Miller Park, as of last September. I haven't had the opportunity yet to host a tailgate party, but that hasn't kept me from giving it a lot of thought. The big advantage to living so close to the stadium is the fact that you can get as shit-canned as you please, and not have to worry about driving home. But then if you want to actually tailgate at the stadium, you need a car and consequently, somebody to drive your drunk ass home. So to bridge the best of both worlds, I thought, why not build a rickshaw big enough to haul two passengers, a cooler or keg (depending on how many people are involved), a grill, a radio, and a couple of extra chairs. It would be like having the back end of the car, without having the rest of the car.

The only specifics I've thought of thus far, is that I should probably have a way of locking the wheels, so if somebody decides to take it, they'd actually have to lift the whole thing onto a truck and drive off with it. I'd also need to have a compartment under the seats to lock the radio and food/drink leftovers. Oh and the rickshaw would need some retractable table legs to keep it upright and looking like the bed of a truck during tailgating. I've thought of naming it, but the only thing I got so far is Brew Shaw. My dad and I have talked about building this contraption and he said he was going to keep his eyes pealed for any stray parts at work. Without him this wouldn't even be possible, and thankfully my father is a genious when it comes to building things, so he will definitely be a massive help.

Maybe this is all a far-fetched idea that I will lose interest in throughout the next couple of weeks, but then I think ahead to warm summer days, girls shouting their cat calls at me, "Hey, it's the rickshaw guy, wanna give us a ride? (as she's nibbling on the tip of her sunglasses)" I think of the strangers that we'll be approached by to compliment us on how cool the rickshaw is, "Where did you come up with such a neat idea, here, take the rest of our beer." I think of the ladies, too drunk to walk after the game, throwing themselves into the rickshaw as they mumble, "Take me away, Mr." "To my apartment?" I reply. "Sure, why not, I'm not wearing any underwear and you seem like a good enough time." Ok, maybe that last scenario was a bit much, but you get my drift. It will take a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to complete the mighty rickshaw and perhaps nobody I know will show a lick of interest in it. But at the very least, during the dead of winter, it's fun to look ahead, to being under the sun, taking in the smells of a barbeque, pressing a cold beer against my forehead, anticipating another Brewer victory. Oh summer, get here soon, I beg of you.


Comments:
I shouldn't have to worry about traffic, there is a path through a small park that leads to that bridge that seperates the preferred parking from the general parking in the Bluemond lot (there's usually a bum playing a guitar under that bridge)

Those parking lot attendant's are not very bright, but I've got my roommate asking questions. He didn't anticipate them being a problem.

Hopefully the only problem I incur is not being able to decide on whether I want to drink Miller Lite or MGD.

Maybe we could convince the Axeman to haul us down to the stadium a few times, as part of his triathlon training.
 
Haus, I like your style.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?