Friday, February 17, 2006

 

Draft #61


Yesterday I thought it was a little odd that the cafeteria would be serving fish on a thursday since they almost always serve fish for lunch on fridays (which is a pretty great idea seeing as how nobody is possibly going to have fish for dinner on a friday night, idiots!) But when I looked at what's on today's menu, everything started to make sense. Today's lunch is a themed meal. And boys and girls, do you know what today's theme is? Well let's see, it's February, and Valentine's usually comes to mind when I think of this month, but that holiday has already passed and it's not like they would have, a dip your lunch in chocolate day, that would be silly and not to mention bad for your health. February? Ummm..........Oh wait, I know, February is the month for leap years, so perhaps your lunch will have a, things that used to leap when they were living theme? They'll serve frogs and things that are green, like a frog. Am I right, or am I right?

No you're wrong, actually. Today's meal will be a tribute to Black History Month! And I'm not even kidding.

Today's menu includes:

-Baked chicken (I bet it would have been fried chicken, but none of the food is fried on our campus, some sort of health movement thing)
-Mac N' Cheese
-Black Eyed Peas
-Candied Yams
-Turnip Greens
-7 layer salad
-Cornbread
-Watermelon
-Peach cobbler
-With your choice of extra-chocolately chocolate milk or a personal pitcher of Kool-Aid (OK, I made that last one up, but the rest is real)

Is this whole thing wrong? Or am I just a product of political correctness and racial sensitivity? I'm confused. If they served brats for a German theme or burritos on cinco de mayo, I wouldn't really care, but this seems different to me. Because in the past they have done German and Mexican themes and the kitchen staff even dressed up accordingly, so how will they dress today? How does the traditional black man dress? I'm pretty sure he doesn't wear lederhosen or a poncho, so I don't know what to expect. Will the cafeteria be divided when I get down there? Personally, I'm a little disappointed that they left cheese doodles, grape soda, and grits off the menu, but I guess I'll just have to make do, cause after all, honkies like mac n' cheese too.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?