Wednesday, March 01, 2006

 

Draft #69


The Adventures of the Dollar Menu Man:

This is a story about a man named Harold Brunard. Harold is a simple man who knows what he wants when it comes to food. He wants it fast, hot and/or fresh, and he prefers that it be under a dollar. You could say he carries a tight wallet and that he thinks anyone would be foolish to pay more than $5 for any given meal. Harold also believes in using proper diction (or at least sounding like he does) and always carrying a cane, even if you are not disabled because you just never know when you'll need a cane. Plus it gives you a very distinguished look, even if you are far from having any decore.

Harold believes that every morning should start with a nice hearty breakfast. And to feed his robust appetite, Harold has decided to visit his neighborhood McDonalds.

Cashier: Good morning, welcome to McDonalds, how may I help you?
Harold: Good morning indeed my good man. I assume all is well with you?
Cashier: I guess so.
Harold: Oustanding! Today I will be ordering from the dollar menu.
Cashier: (staring blankly at Harold, for no one has ever announced that they would be ordering from a dollar menu in his four years of working at McDonalds)
Harold: I will have your egg and bacon sandwich on an english muffin please and let's not forget the cheese. I will also have a short stack of pancakes with an extra side of syrup, two of your delicious hashbrowns and a tall order of your freshest coffee.
Cashier: Will this be for here or to go?
Harold: I have chosen to dine in at your fine establishment this morning. I've got my sights set on the booth in the corner, next to the playground entrance.
Cashier: O.......K, your total comes to $8.49.
Harold: (appauled) I believe there's been a mistake my good man, for you see, I had ordered from the dollar menu and my purchase could not have been more than five dollars.
Cashier: Yeah, I thought you were just fucking around with me. There's no dollar menu for our breakfast items.
Harold: This is an outrage! I have seen your advertisement promoting your dollar menu on television numerous times, and I find your decloration to be preposterous! I demand that you convene with your managerial staff immediately and come to some sort of resolution to this most troubling of issues. I have been a longstanding patron of the McDonald's franchise and I'm sure that headquarters would be displeased to hear of the level of service I am currently receiving. And do not be dismissed, for I am not above alerting them of our situation!
Cashier: Look man, I told you, there's no dollar menu for breakfast items. You just rambled a bunch of items off the menu and assumed that they were all a dollar a piece. What I can do, is have you take a look at some of our value meal selections and maybe that could help bring your total down to the price you're looking for.
Harold: (perplexed and stroking his chin) I am interested in this value meal you speak of. Please, tell me more.
Cashier: (sighing heavily in disgust) Are you serious?
Harold: But of course, I am most intrigued.
Cashier: Well basically we've pre-combined certain sandwiches with a hashbrown and a drink and set it at a certain price and designated it with a particular number. So let's see.... your order looked like number 5 on our value meal menu, so we'll just charge you a little more for the large coffee, the extra hashbrown, and with the pancakes your new total comes to $6.72. Will that work for you this morning?
Harold: It will certainly not! You have insulted me and everyone here with your value meals. This is the opposite of a value. This is a mockery! I have had it with your shenanigans! I used to think this restaurant actually stood for something. Have you absolutely no moral fiber!? I am simply trying to order breakfast, NOT a used automobile. It saddens me to say this, but you leave me no choice. I will be taking my business across the street to the good people at Wendy's. I'm sure they appreciate courteous customers like myself.
Cashier: Wendy's doesn't serve breakfast.
Harold: Damn you! I won't believe a word of it! After all the misleading information you've given me this day, how am I to believe that a place like Wendy's (rich in quality and professionalism), is actually depleted of all its breakfast delicacies?
Cashier: Just go please, you're holding up the line sir.

So Harold up and left, taking his business across the street to Wendy's. The cashier kept a close eye on what was happening across the street and he noticed that Harold had been talking to one of their cashiers for over twenty minutes. Harold shook his cane a few times and pointed a finger or two, but seemed to be in control of his emotions. The cashier never saw Harold again.

Comments:
I honestly wrote this before reading El Grande's last entry. Please, do not hurl stones at me.
 
Imitation is the number one form of flattery.
 
Is this one of those "did you stop beating your wife" statements? Cuz if I say thank you in response to your comment, I would be admitting to copying you. But if I say that imitation line about flattery is complete bullshit, then I've just insulted you, when you were trying to be nice. What. a. pickle.
 
Not only have I not eaten there before, I've never heard of the place. I did however see a flying V this morning. Gotta love migration!

Unlimited steak fries? Who's running this place, the devil?
 
This story started out eerily familiar to a story told a few Saturday's ago by Haus and BMA.
 
You are correct sir! That's where the story was originally born.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?